Friday, May 15, 2020

Here I Am, Rock You Like A...New Waver? - About the Blog / Blogger

Hello! And welcome to the first post on this blog! I want to take some time to write about what this blog is about, and what it means to me. I'm assuming most of you reading this will already know a bit about who I am, as I'm expecting it to be mostly (or entirely) friends of mine viewing it at this point. Although my hope is for that to change, and for this blog to grow, in time.

About the Blogger 

My name is Alex Byrne, and I have cared about music more than anything else in this world for as long as I can remember being alive. I'm 23 as I write this, and that statement rings more true than ever. It is my goal to make a living talking about and playing "rock and roll" music, and sharing my love for it with the rest of the world. I live north of the Chicago area, and graduated about a year ago now, with my degree in Communication and Digital Media. Since that time I have been actively searching for a job that will let me do that... to, so far, no avail. But I'm not giving up. And in the meantime, I am starting this blog (and hopefully also becoming active on a more audio / visual platform as well) to start my quest of sharing my love and knowledge of music with all of those who care to listen- regardless of making any money. Because I realized what is most important to me is just doing it. Just putting myself out there, not caring about getting anything monetarily out of it, because this is my greatest passion. And in a strange way, what I believe to be my greatest talent (if you can call it that). So thank you for coming along on this journey with me, at least this far, and for allowing me to pursue my dreams.

About this Blog

The purpose of this blog, as I stated above, is to share my thoughts about "rock and roll" music from its beginnings up to today, and into the future. As you may have noticed by now, I continue to put rock 'n' roll in quotes- let me explain. It is excruciatingly hard for me to pin down in simple terms what type of music I will be talking about. Yes, "alternative" is in the title (and "nostalgic") so you can assume a majority of it will fall under those two terms, and you would be right! My favorite genre is most likely New Wave or Post-Punk, particularly of the late 1970's and 80's, and its revival counterparts from today. But I love so much more than that! So yes, the majority of the bands / artists / genres I will be talking about will be of the 70's-80's alternative rock variety (so if you don't like any of that uhh...back out now I guess?) but you can also expect me to talk about more mainstream "classic" rock artists like the Eagles, or well-known heavy metal acts like Scorpions, because those types of music are also very important to me. So yes, anything you can call alternative (goth, punk, post-punk, shoegaze, new wave, ska, heavy metal, grunge, etc.) will be certainly discussed here. But don't think I won't talk about Blue Oyster Cult or Pink Floyd on occasion- because I will! 

You'll see album reviews, concert reviews (potentially including pictures and videos), and general opinion pieces on how I feel about any band / artist / album / genre / etc. Additionally, cultural topics such as the fashion that corresponds to various genres and music-based movements. (Example pictures of myself in various music / genre-based outfits and looks I've created below!) If any of that interests you, then this blog is for you!! Thank you, and look out for my next post, hopefully to be up within the next week (hopefully)!


Photo of me in my usual New Wave, 80's babe outfit, ready to go to my local club.
Photo of me in my trad. goth attire, celebrating World Goth Day in my favorite local cemetery. 

Photo of me inside the MGM Grand, after flying all the way to Las Vegas to see the Eagles live.


No comments:

Post a Comment